Home Maintenance Tips for Every Season
A lot of property owners take a very casual approach to the upkeep and repair of their house or building. They usually wait for something to break, clog, overflow, leak, jam or fail catastrophically before addressing the problem. Others are satisfied with getting maintenance tasks done twice a year during autumn and spring.
However, smart property owners know that it’s crucial to take precautionary steps all year to prevent unexpected wear and tear issues that could crop up when the seasons change.
Remember, the different seasons might cause new and unforeseen maintenance concerns on your property. Therefore, it’s critical to keep everything in check all year and maintain your property according to the needs of every season.
If you’re not sure how or where to begin, we’ve put together a seasonal home maintenance checklist that will help ensure your property is in the best possible condition all year long.
When it comes to seasonal home maintenance tips, most guides start with spring.
Now’s the time to get your yard ready for the season once the earth has thawed and the trees have started to blossom. After all, spring cleaning and springtime go hand in hand.
Below are some of the tasks you need to take care of as you prepare your home for the upcoming warmer months.
- Get rid of mould or mildew and get a new exhaust fan if needed.
- Have your plumbing checked for damage and get it repaired.
- Check the gutters and roof for any signs of wear and tear or damage, and make sure to address all issues.
- Assess your garden or yard and see if any plants need pruning, treatment, transplanting or fertilising.
Before heading out to have fun as the sun, sand and sea beckon, take care of the items on this summer home maintenance checklist.
This way, you won’t have much to do if you already followed the spring cleaning checklist and you can focus on simply enjoying the summer.
- Stay on top of pest control by hiring professionals to stop the proliferation of bugs and vermin.
- Get your fireplace or chimney cleaned if you have one.
- Check your home for mould and mildew, and have it removed immediately if you find any.
Autumn home care
Due to the dryer weather and milder temperatures, autumn is a great time to perform property maintenance activities.
- Take care of your yard and ensure unwanted pests are eliminated.
- Check your furnace and adjust the flues in preparation for winter or very cold temperatures.
- Clean the HVAC filters or get them replaced to ensure your central heating system works smoothly.
Since there are only a few places in the country where snow appears during winter, seasonal home maintenance in Australia varies, especially during this period.
However, it can and does get chilly in most places, and torrential rains are quite common. So, even if you can’t control the weather, some proactive winter house upkeep can reduce your stress levels down the line.
- Check and clean your gutters to prevent them from overflowing and flooding your home.
- Get your air conditioning units serviced to get rid of dust, mould, or allergen build-up.
- Ensure your property is well ventilated to prevent it from accumulating stale and musty air, as well as developing mould problems.
Year-round maintenance for your home
Remember, your home is or probably will be the biggest investment you’ll ever make in your lifetime. Therefore, it’s essential you stay on top of its care and upkeep.
Use this printable seasonal home maintenance checklist to stay on top of all crucial tasks designed to protect your property from wear and tear, from spring to summer, autumn and winter.
If this article has inspired you to think about your own unique situation and, more importantly, what you and your family are going through right now, please contact your advice professional.